Tuesday 23 December 2014

12 Beers Of Xmas No.4 - Ola Dubh 12

For my fourth beer I am heading north of the border.  Tonight it is our local CAMRA social evening and it is my turn to drive so this beer is a lunchtime check-in.  The alternative is to open it when I get back in around midnight which I do not fancy doing particularly.  So the brewery today is one of my favourites from Scotland.  Harviestoun have now been brewing for over 30 years and have now grown to a 60-barrel plant.  I particularly love their Old Engine Oil and for today I am sticking to the black stuff.

Old Dubh (Gaelic for 'Black Oil') is a black beer matured in whisky casks and it comes in three variations.  Old Dubh 12 (8.0% ABV) is matured in old casks of Highland Park 12 year old single malt scotch whisky.  You can also get Old Dubh 16 and Old Dubh 18 and I think these are self-explanatory.  Highland Park is an award-winning distillery from the Orkney's and the Highland Park 12 won a double gold medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2007.  

I am not a whisky drinker, in fact when I visited a Scottish distillery I was unable to finish the free sample!  Having said that though I did love the smells of the distillery.  The addition of whisky notes to beer though is something I have not had a problem with in the past and I have high hopes for this particular beer.

I don't want to mention this damn cold on every post but if this beer doesn't kill a few germs then nothing will.  It poured black and thick and there is definitely an earthy peatiness to the aroma even to my limited senses along with a distinct booziness.  I particularly love the chocolate notes in this beer.  This is proper dark chocolate and not your milky stuff.  The finish has a distinct earthy bitterness from the whisky which my wife did not like at all.  For me though this beer is another Christmas cracker and it gets a 9/10.


  
Cheers.    

      
   

No comments:

Post a Comment