Sunday 27 December 2015

12 Beers Of Xmas Day 8 - Thunderstruck IPA

There is no mention of AC/DC in the blurb I read about this beer but Greg Koch of the Stone Brewing Co must be a fan.  This 19th Anniversary Ale is brewed with four Australian hops (I'm sure they would have thrown in a Geordie hop too if there were any) along with Aussie malt so surely the name has come from the title of this classic track (my favourite one if I'm honest) from Australia's finest rock export.  Anyway, I will be trying hard not to hum the tune as I drink it as that could result in serious spillage.  This is another beer I picked up from Bitter Virtue in Southampton and at £12.50 for a 660ml bottle it had better be good.      


I could smell the hops as soon as I popped the top off.  The Aussie hops used are Topaz and Galaxy alongside two new varieties, Ella and Vic Secret.  This is so bitter (95 IBU) and that was too much for my wife but for me it is awesome.  Grapefruit dominates.  Perhaps a tad one dimensional but who cares.  I'm loving it and I wish I had a second one.  I'm just glad it's a big bottle.  And to think it was only £12.50.  Absolute bargain.  

'Sound of the drums
Beating in my heart
The thunder of guns
Tore me apart
You've been
Thunderstruck'

And so have I.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment