Thursday 2 August 2012

Swan In The Rushes

I got back to my hotel late last night so I did not have time to post this.  After meeting up with my sister and nephew for a meal my sister went home and left 'the boys' to quickly visit one of my favourite pubs.  Situated in The Rushes (hence the name) it was a very rundown pub named The Charnwood when I turned 18 in the late 1970s.  It was then purchased and turned into a real ale paradise in the 1980s becoming part of the East Midland pub chain, Tynemill.  In the late 1990s a partnership between Tynemill and the Bramcote Brewing Company created the Castle Rock Brewery.  This brewery is situated close to Nottingham's historic castle rock from where the name is derived.  Eventually the pub group bought out the original brewery founders and The Swan In The Rushes is now an excellent advert for their fine beers.  Tonight I sampled a pint of Elsie Mo, a strong hoppy golden ale (4.7% ABV) that is very popular so my nephew informs me.  I can certainly see why.  Delicious.    

I now try and visit this wonderful pub every time I go 'home' to Loughborough.  It comprises two quiet comfortable rooms to the front with a livelier back bar (the Charnwood vaults).  The walls are adorned with breweriana and with newspapers and good conversation it has everything you need to settle down with a pint of fine beer.  As well as the range of Castle Rock beers there is up to six guest beers available.  Added to that, an inventive loyalty scheme, makes this a perfect local.  Loughborough is blessed with some excellent pubs but this is the best by far.  Pay it a visit if you ever pass this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment